Queen’s Baton beach-bash celebrations

0

The Queen’s Baton passed through St Andrews on Thursday as part of its journey to Glasgow for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Though behind schedule, the baton arrived in St Andrews – its final destination in Fife for the 13th day of the relay – at around 6:45 pm.

Preceded by a celebratory parade including a samba band, a pipe band and sports-clad local children, the baton was carried up South Street, past the Cathedral, down North Street and across the Old Course to West Sands, where the celebrations ensued.

Among the baton carriers, selected from the local community in recognition of the work they do, were Kim Carr, Noel Grimshaw, Rosie Hazell, Sherree Rennie, Andrew Gill and Graham Bennison. 87-year-old Eleanor Gunstone, one of the founding members of the St Andrews Athletic Club, climbed out of her wheelchair to carry the baton by foot.

The baton was carried across the Swilcan Bridge by Olympic bronze medallist Eve Muirhead and finished the Fife leg of its journey under the care of international hockey player Holly Cram, who is currently in training to represent Scotland in the games.

Greeted by crowds of people gathered at a temporary stage on West Sands, the baton celebrations were led by radio DJs from Kingdom FM. Music and dancing set off the celebrations, which included a world record attempt for the largest ever ceilidh.