West Sands may not rank as a world renowned volleyball beach yet glistening under the much maligned St Andrews sun it provided the perfect showcase to round off a wonderful season for the Volleyball Club. The indoor season had been a roaring success yet with exams just around the corner, members of the club embraced the more summery branch of the sport with unrivalled enthusiasm. The club then put a performance to match their excitement in the Scottish Students Championship.

It was early May and the Saints were in a group consisting of representatives from Dundee, Abertay, Edinburgh and Strathclyde. Despite an early loss to the Dundonians – who would eventually go on to win the silver medal – the team rallied and hammered Abertay 21-4 before seeing off Edinburgh and Strathclyde to finish second in their group.

Finishing as runners-up in their pool meant a qualifier was needed to advance into the semi-finals. A great performance against another Edinburgh side saw the Saints into the knockout rounds of the competition.

Although a semi-final against the future winners, Abertay, proved too much. Despite a resilient performance in the first set in which they lost narrowly the second set was littered with mistakes from serves and top quality volleyball from the Abertay pair. The loss of 21-10 was a fair reflection on the set but it did not do justice to the volleyball the club had played throughout the day.

The day though ended on a happier note. Beating a pair from Strathclyde two sets to love in the bronze medal play-off ensured the Saints did not leave the beach empty handed.

All in all a successful day and the Volleyball Club will be hoping that this can provide a springboard for next year when they may go one better and reach the final to give themselves an opportunity to clinch the title of the best in Scotland. A title the beach itself may not ever claim.