The Saint wins student media award

0
Photo credit: Elliot Davies

The Saint has received an award for the best use of multimedia by a student publication at a national awards ceremony.

The Student Publication Association (SPA) awards were held on the evening of Saturday 3 May as part of the Association’s annual conference. Over 200 nominations were submitted for the awards, with recognition given across various fields such as best news story and best website.

In feedback on its multimedia use, The Saint was praised for its use of video, photography, live-blogging and for interactive elements of their website.

Reacting to the award, Elliot Davies, the editor of The Saint, said: “I’m thrilled and very proud that The Saint‘s reporting has been recognised at a national level by the Student Publication Association. We have been working hard this year to introduce regular multimedia content alongside our written articles in order to provide our readers with the best coverage possible.

“Our video editor, Henry Legg, deserves particular praise for his hard work in establishing The Saint‘s video team. The team was newly introduced this year but it is already St Andrews’ most compelling and professional news video offering, providing videos both to accompany stories and to stand alone.

“The team particularly excelled during the Students’ Association elections in March 2014, when we recorded video interviews with the sabbatical candidates, produced video guides to all the positions, and provided the first ever live video coverage of the debates and results.

“The SPA also recognised The Saint for our photography; use of Twitter and other social media in articles; live blogging; and interactives such as our Freshers’ Week map.”