Teaching Awards round-up

1
Image: Students' Association

The University of St Andrews’ Teaching Awards took place on Thursday 1 May.

Co-hosted by the Students’ Association and the University, the awards aim to recognise outstanding teaching within the University. Recipients were nominated by students, with 229 nominations overall.

Teddy Woodhouse, the director of  representation, was one of the organisers of the event; along with Lynn Balfour from the Proctor’s office. He said: “This year’s awards were a rousing success, with 229 nominations received at all levels of study in every discipline of the University. I’m so glad that we get a day in this University to celebrate the commitment made by members of staff to the student learning experience.

“I think the Teaching Awards are a brilliant cause for two reasons: first, it’s wonderful to pass on and demonstrate the gratitude that students owe to members of staff here in the University; and the second and more subtle note is that these awards are a reminder for our institution that being a great academic is different from being a great researcher. There are incredible members of staff in this institution who work literal days and nights to support the student learning experience, and they deserve just as much recognition.”

The winners were as follows.

Maryam Ghobrankarimi, a teaching fellow in Persian language and culture, was recognised for excellence in teaching at sub-honours level in arts and divinity.

For sub-honours teaching in science and medicine, Akira O’Connor of the School of Psychology and Neuroscience was awarded.

The award for excellent teaching by a postgraduate tutor went to Karolina Kuberska, who is currently researching the phenomenon of sobreparto in Bolivia.

Iain Patterson from the School of Chemistry was the recipient of the award for commitment by a non-teaching staff member.

At honours level, the award for arts and divinity teaching went to Rebecca Sweetman, of the School of Classics.

For science and medicine honours level teaching, the award was received by Jonathan Keeling; a researcher for the School of Physics and Astronomy.

Scot Gregory, also of physics, was awarded for his proficiency as a dissertation and project supervisor for sciences and medicine.

Susan Sellars of the School of English was equally recognised for her work as a dissertation supervisor in the arts and divinity category.

Innovation in teaching was the final teaching award, which went to Kristen Harkness from the School of International Relations.

This was also the first year of the Proctor’s Award to recognise the work of class representatives and school presidents. Maxwell Fabisziewski became the first recipient of this award for outstanding commitment in his role as school president for Classics.