As the spring term comes to an end and lectures wind down, many will find themselves struggling to stay indoors during revision as the weather in St Andrews has finally returned to bearable conditions. With the sun shining and the North Sea breeze nipping the air, nothing is more fitting than a light garden tea break from revising in the library. This strawberry rhubarb pie is seasonally appropriate, as April and May are prime time for early summer fruits. Enjoy this pie on a sunny day by the beach or in town with friends.

Summer garden favorite: strawberry rhubarb pie

Recipe adapted from SmittenKitchen.com

Ingredients
A generous handful of flour
Pie dough of your choice (make sure you have enough for crust and base)
Three and a half c. sliced rhubarb (about three large stalks)
Three and a half c. strawberries, sliced
One-third c. white sugar
One-half c. brown sugar
One tbsp. lemon juice
One-third tsp. salt
One-quarter c. quick-cooking tapioca pearls (easily found in most supermarkets)
One egg yolk + one tsp water (for glaze)

Method

• Preheat oven 205 C.
  • On a clean counter, spread flour evenly to roll out pie dough. Roll into a 12-inch circle, fold in half twice (quartering the circle). You should be left with a triangle of dough. Transfer to pie dish, and carefully unfold in dish, leaving a bit hanging over the edges.
  • In a large bowl, mix the sliced rhubarb and strawberries with the sugars, lemon juice, salt and tapioca pearls. Once fully incorporated, pour fruit and the juice into the pie dish, spreading to even out the filling.
  • With the remaining flour, roll out second half of dough. Here you have the option to be fancy or keep it clean and basic: you can cut out shapes in the crust, make a decorative slit in the topper, make a lattice top or simply cut a small hole in the center of the crust.
  • Transfer to center of pie filling and trim dough so that the edge of the dish is completely covered, tucking in the extra dough.
  • Mix the egg yolk and teaspoon of water and brush the mixture over the dough – this will give it a delicious and crispy golden outer layer.
  • Bake for twenty minutes at 205, then reduce temperature to 175 C for the last 25 to 30 minutes.
  • Remove from oven and allow to cool for an hour or two, allowing the juice to cool and set.
  • Serve with a side of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!

Features

Latest posts by Features (see all)