Marking boycott cancelled

0
Photo: Ellen Shaw

The proposed marking boycott has been cancelled following a vote by the Universities and Colleges Union (UCU) to accept the two per cent pay increase offered by the Universities and Colleges Employers Association (UCEA).

UCU’s higher education committee met today, Friday 2 May, to discuss and settle the matter. This came after an online ballot for all members yesterday. 83.7 per cent voted to accept the offer; 52.6 per cent of members turned out. Chris Hooley, president of the St Andrews UCU branch explained that this ballot was “purely consultative”, with the committee making the final decision.

Tom Jones, treasurer of the St Andrews UCU branch, said: “The acceptance of the recent pay offer for 2014-15 brings to an end this industrial dispute. UCU St Andrews is very grateful to all colleagues and students, whether members or not, who have offered their support during the dispute. It is highly unlikely that without taking this action the offer of a two per cent pay increase for next year, and additional commitments to work on low pay and equalities issues in the sector, would have been made. We hope this settlement can be used as a basis on which to build a commitment to fair pay into future negotiations.”

The UCU general secretary, Sally Hunt, said: “UCU members have made it overwhelmingly clear that they wish to accept the two per cent pay offer and call off the proposed marking boycott. We shall be informing universities of their decision and that the marking boycott is off. My thanks go to UCU members for their support in this dispute.”