Illuminating the past: castle and cathedral to be lit up

0
Photo: Elliot Davies

St Andrews Castle and Cathedral will soon be lighting up the night sky under new plans by the St Andrews Partnership.

The group intends to install low-energy lighting systems to illuminate the monuments as part of its four-year strategy plan. Discussions with Historic Scotland are under way to gain permission for the venture, and the Partnership says it is optimistic for a speedy start.

The money to purchase the lights and pay for their upkeep will be acquired through fundraising by the Partnership. A total estimated cost is not yet available.

Alongside this, another key feature of the Partnership’s strategy is to turn the St Andrew’s Day celebration in November into a larger and grander event. Plans include extending the festivities to a three-day affair, with a variety of events and activities, and placing greater emphasis on the St Andrews Food and Drink Festival.

Patrick Laughlin, the St Andrews Partnership manager, told the St Andrews Citizen: “We have the name, the history and the setting to turn our St Andrew’s Day celebrations into the biggest in the world.”

Further plans include improvements to the festive lights display and ‘switch on’ night celebrations. New welcome signs at entrances to the town and improved information boards at tourist sites are also envisioned.

The St Andrews Partnership is an umbrella organisation that brings together local people, businesses, major institutions and community groups within St Andrews. Its four main focuses for improvement are community, the environment, the economy and tourism.

Its mission statement is: “St Andrews Partnership – which unites the people, businesses and organisations of our historic community – aspires to make St Andrews the finest place in Scotland to live, work, study, visit and play. We will best achieve this by working together.”