Police warnings after two sexual assaults linked

0
Photo: Dave Conner

Police have linked two sexual assaults that took place in St Andrews last week.

A 27-year-old woman was sexually assaulted between 12:15 am and 2:10 am on Wednesday 9 April. She was seen walking with a man on Doubledykes Road at around 12:55 am.

Last week, police appealed for witnesses after an indecent assault on a 18-year-old student between the University sports hall and David Russell Apartments on 10 April. A Police Scotland report said: “She became aware of a man walking behind her, who then grabbed and indecently assaulted her. The assault lasted a very short time before the assailant ran off. While she was uninjured, the woman was left extremely shaken.”

Police are now  looking to speak to a man, who is described as 5’8″ – 5’10” wearing a dark puffa jacket, dark tracksuit bottoms, grey beanie hat and possibly wearing gloves. Police are appealing for anyone to come forward who recognises the description of the man, or who has any information that can help with this inquiry.

There will be police foot patrols in place, particularly during the hours of darkness. Police are also advising people to be vigilant when walking home at night, and to walk in pairs where possible. In an email to all students and staff the proctor, Lorna Milne, explained that the University will be cooperating fully with Police Scotland and will also put on additional security patrols in the areas concerned.

Professor Milne explained: “Whilst we do not wish to cause unnecessary alarm, we are issuing this reminder to everyone to keep yourself – and each other – safe.”

The University will be holding talks in all halls of residence. Attack alarms are available for all students and staff members for free at the Students’ Association and at the ASC on North Street.

Detective Chief Inspector Pauline McCallum of Police Scotland said: “This type of incident is rare but I would like to take this opportunity to remind the public to be aware of their personal safety, particularly if walking in a quiet area or after a night out.

“We have a description of a man who we would like to speak to in connection with our inquiries, and anyone with any information should contact police immediately.”

Anyone with any information on either of the incidents should call Police Scotland on 101. Anyone with queries is invited to call Student Services for advice by calling 01134 462020 or by visiting the ASC.