Police release CCTV image in sexual assault investigation

0
cctvappeal
A CCTV image of a man that Police Scotland would like to trace in connection with two sexual assaults in St Andrews
Photo: Police Scotland

Police Scotland have released a CCTV image of a man they would like to speak to in connection with two incidents of sexual assault in St Andrews last week.

An 18-year-old student was indecently assaulted between the University sports hall and David Russell Apartments on 10 April. A 27-year-old woman was also sexually assaulted between 12:15 am and 2:10 am on Wednesday 9 April. She was seen walking with a man on Doubledykes Road at around 12:55 am. The two attacks have been linked by police.

Police are now  looking to speak to a man who is described as “5’8″ – 5’10″, wearing a dark puffa jacket, dark tracksuit bottoms, grey beanie hat and possibly wearing gloves.” Police are appealing for anyone to come forward who recognises this man, or who has any information that can help with this inquiry.

Detective Chief Inspector Pauline McCallum said: “We wish to speak to the man pictured in the images in connection with our inquiries, and anyone who can assist us in tracing him is asked to come forward.

“Similarly, we would ask the man himself to get in touch and help with our investigation.”

Extra patrols are being carried out in the area by the police and the University. Students have been reminded to stay safe and to try to walk with others, particularly during the hours of darkness. Attack alarms are available for all students and staff members for free at the Students’ Association and at the ASC on North Street.

Those with any information can contact the Police Service of Scotland on 101, or the charity Crimestoppers in complete anonymity on 0800 555 111.