Police Scotland is currently investigating an assault on an 18-year-old female student.

The assault took place at 1 am on Thursday 10 April on the lane between the sports centre and David Russell Apartments.

According to a Police Scotland report, the woman was uninjured but “extremely shaken by the incident”. The woman reports being aware of a man walking behind her, before being grabbed and “indecently assaulted”.

The assailant quickly ran away. He is described as 5’8″ to 5’10″ and wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, a dark puffa jacket, a grey beanie hat and possibly gloves.  He also “may have been of foreign appearance”.

Chief Inspector Adrian Annandale has appealed to anybody who was in the area and saw somebody matching this description – or who has any information on his identity – to contact the police on 101. He promises that all information will be “treated with the strictest of confidence”.

Mr Annandale said: “This type of incident is rare and it is not known what the man’s motive was, however the victim was very shaken by it. I would take this opportunity to remind the public when they are in more remote areas to be aware of their personal safety.”

In an email to students the proctor of the University, Professor Lorna Milne, urged students to try to walk with others after dark and to take well-lit paths if alone rather than quieter shortcuts.

She said: “We do not wish to cause unnecessary alarm but are issuing this reminder to everyone to keep yourself and your possessions safe.”

This is the second incident of this kind since the start of the academic year. On 28 November 2013, an 18-year-old female was sexually assaulted on the North Haugh.