Photo: Henry Legg
Photo: Henry Legg

The new Your Union shop has been officially opened by the rector Alistair Moffat, completing phase one of the Union redevelopment.

The shop, which will replace the old BESS store that previously occupied the front of the building had been temporarily relocated to the first floor of the building while the work was underway. It has now moved beside the Rectors cafe, which opened before spring break.

Photo: Henry Legg
Photo: Henry Legg

Staff and students who work within the Union were invited to celebrate the official opening. Guests were entertained by The Other Guys and Oscar Swedrup and Anna Merryfield.

Students’ Association president Chloe Hill welcomed and thanked guests. She said the new cafe would offer a safe and alcohol free space for students to enjoy.

Phase two of the redevelopment is well underway. It will see the renovation of the main bar into two new spaces- Sandy’s bar and a more modern main bar. Phase two is due to be completed during the summer.

The redevelopment of the upper floors of the Union into society spaces, a bar and new office space will begin during the summer. Venue 1 will close in the second semester of next year to make way for a new nightclub. The project is due to be completed with landscaping in November 2015.