On the Rocks Preview: The Vaudeville Spectacular

0

With On the Rocks just around the corner, we’ve been hearing from the festival’s organisers to get the lowdown on some of the many arts-related highlights that we can look forward to over the next couple of weeks. This year sees the Swing Dance Society hosting The Vaudeville Spectacular, an evening of unusual acts and 20s-themed fun. We found out a little more about the event, and what those in attendance can expect.

1. So what’s The Vaudeville Spectacular all about? What does your event have in store?

The Vaudeville Spectacular is essentially a vintage cabaret night. Taking inspiration from the vaudeville theatre of the early 1900s, we’ve collected a whole variety of acts – singers, dancers, comedians – there’ll even be a silent film. Vaudeville is all about variety, so expect the unusual! We’re transforming Venue 2 into a seedy 20s nightclub, complete with cocktail waiters and doormen – we encourage people to wear evening dress; it will be a completely immersive experience.

2. What 3 words would best describe your production?

Faded glitz and glamour.

3. What aspect of the production are you most looking forward to?

I’m really excited to pull together such a diverse range of performers for this one-off event – some of the acts are superb.

4. What inspired you to produce your event with On The Rocks?

I’ve been involved with the swing dance society since first year, and I wanted an opportunity for us to both showcase what we do and also get involved with other performers and societies in St Andrews. As far as I’m aware, nothing like this has happened in St Andrews for a long time, so I’m really excited about pulling it off!

The Vaudeville Spectacular is taking place in Venue 2 at 10pm on Thursday 10 April. Tickets are £4.