With On the Rocks just around the corner, we’ve been hearing from the festival’s organisers to get the lowdown on some of the many arts-related highlights that we can look forward to over the next couple of weeks. Here, Anna Merryfield tells us what we can expect from Music is Love’s series of acoustic sessions in the Old Union Cafe.

1. For those of us who weren’t able to attend the sessions last year, would you mind telling us what the Music Cafes are all about.

Music is Love are working with OTR to provide a series of intimate gigs in the Old Union Café which will take place throughout the festival. The Music Cafes are an opportunity to sit back and have a listen to some of St Andrews’ home grown talent in a relaxed atmosphere. People are always surprised by how many amazing performers there are here in St Andrews so the cafes are the perfect chance to showcase that talent along with yummy cakes, coffee and good company! The evenings begin at 10pm and go on until midnight.

2. Can anybody with an instrument rock up and get involved?

We have a list of acts confirmed to play but if you’re desperate for a chance to play some songs send an email to musicislove@st-andrews.ac.uk and we’ll try and squeeze you in – the more the merrier!

3. The atmosphere of a late night session in the Old Union Cafe must prove pretty special. What is your favourite thing about the venue?

I personally love hosting events in the Old Union Café, it’s a great intimate venue and is especially endearing late at night when everyone is cosied in listening to acoustic tunes. The old building with its low ceilings and bare brick walls provide the perfect backdrop for a very special evening in our little town!

The Music Cafe Series will take place in the Old Union Cafe from 10pm to midnight on 6, 7, 8 and 10 April. Admission is free.