With On the Rocks just around the corner, we’ve been hearing from the festival’s organisers to get the lowdown on some of the many arts-related highlights that we can look forward to over the next couple of weeks. Here, Annie Leverton tells us what we can expect from this year’s edition of a festival favourite: the annual Ceilidh in the Castle.

1. For those of us who aren’t too sure of what a ceilidh is; what can we expect?

Basically a ceilidh is a traditional Scottish communal folk dance and it’s a wonderful opportunity to bring the community together. Castle Ceilidh is the highlight of the Celtic Society’s year and has now been brought the St Andrews Community for several years.

2. Do you have to bring a partner?

You don’t need to bring a partner as usually at ceilidhs you just ask anyone to dance and everyone’s usually pretty friendly – however if you’re shy it’s always better to bring someone and these types of events are always more fun in with friends!

3. The venue in St Andrews castle is impressively grand, would you say that this is a rare opportunity to take part in?

The Celtic Society have hosted an annual Ceilidh in the Castle for years now and it is such a great opportunity to host an event in a landmark so representative of our town’s rich history and medieval heritage!

The Ceilidh in the Castle will take place in St Andrews Castle at 2pm on Sunday 13 April. Tickets are £5.