Inspired by its St Andrews roots: Tom Morris’ spring and summer 2014 collection

0
Image: Tom Morris.
Image: Tom Morris.
Image: Tom Morris.

Among the many golf-related stores in St Andrews, Tom Morris, an award winning lifestyle brand, stands out as the most synonymous with St Andrews’ history. This important background has been the fundamental inspiration for the Tom Morris SS14 collection, which launched in January 2014.

Not only was Tom Morris born in St Andrews, but he was also one of the most important figures in the development of golf itself. Besides pioneering the sport, Morris also won the Open Championship in St Andrews four times. After winning his final Open, Morris set up his store on The Links in 1866. St Andrews was a natural choice for his first shop, given the rising popularity of golf at this time.

For the SS14 collection, inspiration was found in the golf courses and rugged coastal landscape of St Andrews. This inspiration is evident through the collection’s prevalent use of blues, grays and sunset tones. Besides this, Tom Morris’ designers also searched for inspiration within the Tom Morris archives and through vintage finds which informed the collection’s heritage.

While this season was influenced by the St Andrews landscape, Tom Morris has still maintained its preppy aesthetic, which blends on-course style with everyday life. Tom Morris aims to marry preppy with casual into a standout look that reflects each man’s personal taste and the Tom Morris heritage. This look can be found in Tom Morris’ mainstay pieces such as their tailored elbow patch blazers, newsboy caps, coloured trousers and plaid shorts.

Without losing its touch, Tom Morris also featured pieces with hidden functions in its SS14 collection. These subtly technical items include discreetly waterproof jackets and technical polos that appear to be cotton.

The new SS14 collection is not only cohesive with St Andrews style, but it also subtly reflects the SS14 men’s catwalks at the London Fashion Week. At John Smedly, striped cardigans in sunset tones and coloured trousers were staple pieces. Thomas Pink also featured similar tweed blazers, trousers and vests. Tweed blazers were seen again at Hackett, a brand that also uses blues and whites in its SS14 ensembles. Hackett also featured plaids, shorts and weather-appropriate jackets similar to that of Tom Morris.

Despite these similarities – which show the brand’s nod to high fashion – the Tom Morris collection stands alone because of its laid back yet done-up nature.

This preppy yet relaxed lifestyle not only aligns with St Andrews culture, but it also references the town’s rich history. By synthesising these two aspects of St Andrews life, Tom Morris effectively provides men with appropriate yet stylish garments for the SS14 season.