Bute Revue 2014

0

As an arts student who spends most of her time a million miles away from the School of Medicine, I was nervous as to how much I would enjoy a night of comedy based upon their staff, students and daily life. My only glimmer of hope was that I actually live with three medics, so key characters such as Professor Guild and Alun Hughes were not totally foreign to me. In addition to this, Jenny Lindsay, the brains behind the show, has been a part of my life since I was 11 years old, and so I was confident that her vivacious nature and rather wild sense of humour would make for an entertaining evening.

The minute the show started, I knew all would be fine; a Lion King classic was turned into The Circle of Fife.  Whilst there were parts I didn’t understand, the majority of the humour was based on inherent St Andrews characteristics, notably the lack of sun and the repetitiveness of the three main streets. Although this sounds a little safe, it worked brilliantly.

References to well-known songs, films and TV shows continued throughout the evening; one of my favourite instances being a sketch involving Fermione Sranger and Forrest Dump which the entire audience loved, too. Game of Thrones, Mean Girls, Grease and another Lion King classic, He Lives in You, also featured.

What really struck me though, was the variety of the acts. Julia Sawatzky did a spectacular dance and there was a well thought through mixture of videos, sketches and songs which kept the audience engaged.  The videos were so impressive that I really think that their creator James Cottrill should think twice about whether he ought not to pursue a career in films rather than medicine.

Credit must also be given to the staff who took part for being such good sports. A great compilation of staff selfies, as well as participation in many of the scenes gave the impression of a fun, close-knit group who not only love their job, but love their students.

Jenny Lindsay, the director of the Bute Revue, said: “After months of hard work, I was so pleased with how the show came together. It had great involvement from students and staff. I couldn’t have imagined it going any better.”

By the time the show finished, I realised that the medics – students I have admittedly sometimes sidelined due their strong work ethic and somewhat separate rules and regulations – are not to be afraid of. They have the ability to laugh at themselves, and what they do get up to behind those very closed doors is actually not wholly different from the doors of anywhere else. In fact, if it wasn’t for the fact I have to leave the room as soon as my flatmates talk about dissections, I actually quite like the look of being a medic!