A trio of models pose on the catwalk at this year’s Glasgow School of Art fashion show. Image: McAteer Photography.

During the Glasgow School of Art (GSA) fashion shows, which took place on 4 and 5 March, GSA’s undergraduate fashion students were given the challenge of assimilating their designs with the themes of lace and world culture.

Before the shows began, immense preparation was required. During dress rehearsals, the 40 models faced organised chaos. Not only did models have to fit into a tiny dressing room, but over 100 garments and numerous dressers also had to cram into the small space.

The morning after dress rehearsals, show preparation seemed like an impossible feat. Nevertheless, the Vidal Sassoon hair team rose to the challenge, supplying five hairdressers to complete 40 up-dos within three and a half hours. Once the beauty preparations were done, the models tried on their ensembles for each show.

Although the shows went down without a hitch, the backstage environment was far from glamorous. Despite the behind the scenes insanity however, the models stepped onto the catwalk with ethereal composure. The cool composure of the models was mirrored by the show’s atmosphere, with backstage screens providing the runway with a glacial air. Once off the runway, the nonchalance of the models disappeared as they raced to the clothing rail to quick change into their next look. Unfortunately, this chaos caused the show directors to become very frustrated – having to scream models’ names repeatedly until they finally showed up in the queue.

Despite the backstage frustration though, the runway crowd cheered for every flawless design displayed on the catwalk. On closing night, the excitement of the GSA fashion show reached its peak. The entrancing music, sold-out crowd and model camaraderie turned the after party into a heady cocktail that affected all involved. As the party ended, organisers celebrated the show’s success and pledged to outdo themselves again in 2015.