36 hours in Sydney: a taste of Australia

0
The world famous Sydney Opera House, one of the most famous views of the city.

Heading to the land down under? No visit to Australia is complete without a visit to Sydney, so here’s a list of the top things to do in one of the most well-known cities of Australia. Emblazoned in a rich history and vibrant culture, Sydney is certainly one of the most multifaceted cities in the world. To begin, head to the Rocks, set in history as the first place settlers set foot in the country. Next, you can’t miss the symbolic sails of the Opera House nestled under the shadow of the worlds’ tallest steal arch bridge, also known as “The Coat Hanger” to Sydney-siders. The exhilarating bridge climb and the pylon lookout with views of the famous harbour side locations should not be missed.

Hop on a ferry at Circular Quay and visit some of Australia’s most famous beaches; the Bondi to Coogee coastal walk rewards you with excellent cliff views and will walk you through rock pools and beautiful saltwater shallows. A harbour-side sunset cruise or early morning whale-watching excursion ensures something for everyone. Stop at Taronga Zoo to visit the marsupial family or visit the southern hemisphere’s largest water park Wet N’ Wild or Luna Park; the restored 1930s amusement park. Sydney being a melting pot of cultures, it is home to many a culinary delight. Balmain, Darlinghurst and Surry Hills, to name a few, are home to cosy pubs and good old-fashioned dine-ins. Nothing says Sydney more than Saturday night fireworks: head over to Darling Harbour for a touch of fine dining and beautiful waterside views neighbouring a stunning skyline.

A view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge from the Circular Quay.

Sydney’s eight-storey-high IMAX theatre would not fall short of an unforgettable movie experience. And then not even a block away lies Sydney’s Chinatown, famous for its night markets and authentic Chinese cuisine. Put on your dancing shoes and head over to Kings Cross for a night on the town with many a pub crawls – the taste of the bustling nightlife. Also home to some magnificent Victorian architecture, from Sydney’s Town Hall to the more modern Sydney tower, it is where old meets new. In addition to seeing the world’s fifth largest operatic venue, the Sydney Opera House, also make time for some mind-blowing pieces as well as memorable performances at the Capitol and State Theatres. Enjoy a quiet stroll in Hyde Park, located at the heart of Australia’s busiest city, and Australia’s oldest park. Looking to indulge in some retail therapy? Strand Arcade, Pitt Street Mall, and Queen Victoria Building are home to some of the biggest names in fashion and undoubtedly require a stop!

To top off this crazy list of things to do in Sydney don’t forget to pack your ski-gear for a visit to the Blue Mountains – yes it does snow in the land down under! There is always something to do in Sydney and these suggestions are only a starting point. A trip here will be unforgettable for sure.