The University of St Andrews has become the first university in the UK and second in the world to receive a three-star IT service desk certification from the Service Desk Institute (SDI).

St Andrews was awarded the recognition for excellent IT services after an 18-month audit by SDI. The University proved to be strong in all areas, including people satisfaction, policy and strategy, performance results, leadership skills, people management, partnerships and resources and social responsibility.

Lorraine Brown, the University of St Andrews service desk manager, said: “IT is a fundamental part of every member of staff and every student’s day to day life at the University and we want everyone who uses our service to have a positive experience from the moment they arrive in St Andrews.

“We believe that our three-star certification proves our commitment to offering a great service and we aim to use the programme to further aid the continuous development of our IT services.”

SDI are Europe’s leading support network for IT service desks and use an internationally accepted standard to evaluate operations and give constructive criticism to help improve IT services.

Howard Kendall, SDI’s Master Auditor, who presented the 3-star award to the IT Services team, commented:  “After achieving two-star SDI certification in 2013, it is highly rewarding to see that the excellent strategy and leadership in place and SAITS is playing a major part progressing the service to a three-star customer-led level of maturity.

“Quality leadership, combined with a new location for the service desk, the appointment of a business relationship manager, the implementation on a carefully planned customer experience feedback programme and the on-going enthusiasm and high morale of staff is clearly bearing fruit. I’m delighted to see St Andrews embracing continuous service improvement and shall continue to follow them on their journey.”