A German princess has been accused of committing assault, racism and other charges at the student-run Oktoberfest event.

Her Serene Highness Theodora-Louise, Prinzessin zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, who is not a student at the University, appeared at Cupar Sheriff Court yesterday to face charges over incidents alleged to have taken place at the event at Kinkell Byre on Saturday.

The 27-year-old denied all charges against her by summary complaint. She denied acting in a racially aggravated manner and assault. She also faces charges of making threats and offensive and homophobic comments; attempting to stop herself being placed in custody; and shouting, swearing and threatening violence towards police officers. It is also alleged that she shouted and swore at officers at Glenrothes Police Station on 9 March.

A Police Scotland spokesperson confirmed: “Police Scotland, Fife Division can confirm that a 27-year-old female German national is in custody following a racist incident at an event near St Andrews on Saturday 8 March 2014.”

Ms Sayn-Wittgenstein was released on bail with a trial fixed for 7 July at Dundee Sheriff Court. A pre-trial hearing will take place on 26 June.

1. Can someone tell “Her Serene Highness” that Germany has been a republic since August 1919 and that former hereditary titles only exist as part of the surname? She is falsely claiming to be a “princess” when that title in her family hasn’t existed for nearly 100 years. Very sad.