From Bella’s blog at http://steakandsprinkles.blogspot.co.uk/

Times are tough. It’s coming to the end of the month and I am running out of money. What better way to cheer myself up than to indulge in a succulent steak drizzled with chimicurri sauce and a side of roasted and caramelised potatoes, sweet potatoes and onions?

Serves two

Ingredients

Steak

Two sirloin steaks
Butter
Salt and pepper

Roast vegetables

One baking potato
Two sweet potatoes
One red onion
A substantial amount of oil
Maldan sea salt (Invest. Once you have maldon-ed you will never look back)
Any dried herbs that take your fancy: oregano, sage, rosemary, parsley, thyme, etc.

Chimichurri sauce
Parsley
Coriander
One shallot
Two cloves of garlic
Chilli flakes
Oregano
Half a lemon
Two teaspoons red wine vinegar
Two and a half tablespoons of oil

Method

I know… student life. First, take your steak out the fridge and leave it for an hour or two to come to room temperature before you frazzle it.

Pre-heat your oven to 190C (375F).

Take this time to prep your veg. Peel your potatoes and sweet potatoes, dice them up and throw
them in a pot of boiling water for about five minutes or until you can pierce them with a knife pretty easily. Saving the worst till last. The dreaded onion.

Sling some oil in an oven-proof dish with some sea salt and herbs. I used sage, rosemary and oregano. Put it in the oven. If your oil’s hot when you add your vegetables, instead of soaking up the oil they will crisp up.

Check your pots with a knife. When they’re ready, drain them and shake them about in the pan so they become floury on the outside.

Alternatively, you can lightly crush them with a masher…

Throw them into the hot oil along with the onions and put them into your pre-heated oven for about an hour. Every 20 minutes, give them a good stir to coat them in the oil and herbs.

Next is the chimichurri sauce. It’s an Argentinian dressing similar to pesto but it’s really tangy and zesty.

Put a large bunch of parsley in a food processor, along with a handful of coriander. Next add two garlic cloves, a shallot, a couple of sprinklings of chilli flakes (depending on how spicy you want to go) and one teaspoon of dried oregano, and blitz.

Next, add the juice of half a lemon, two teaspoons of red wine vinegar and finally, two and a half tablespoons of oil. Delicious.

Finally, we get to the steak. Put a frying pan over the hob and heat it up as hot as you dare. Pat the steaks dry with some kitchen roll and then hold the fatty edge of the steaks down in the pan until they are brown and have coated the pan in their meaty oil.

Lay the steaks flat in the frying pan and sprinkle on some salt and pepper. After about a minute, turn them over and season the other side. The high heat and meat fat will allow a caramel crust to form on the steak. Yum.

Then I add a wee bit of butter and baste my steaks while they cook for a further two minutes on each side (but you should play it by ear).

Now rest it. Don’t forego the resting. About five to ten mins will do.

All that’s left to do is the eating. Enjoy!

And be sure to check out my other recipes on my blog at http://steakandsprinkles.blogspot.co.uk/