[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JPPLS4ElyA]

Eligibility

Who can run for election?

Any matriculated St Andrews student can be nominated for any position as long as they are not currently banned from the Union building and have no outstanding personal debts to the Association.

There are extra requirements for various positions, including the AU president, who must have been on a committee of one of the AU’s constituent clubs and must be on good standing with the AU and the University. Candidates for AU president are required to contact the AU prior to nominations to ensure they are eligible to run. School presidents have to be entering at least their third year in Honours and must be a student in the relevant school. Joint Honours students can stand for election in either school, but not both. Senate reps must be members of the relevant faculty and the postgraduate president has to be a postgraduate student.

Candidates are not permitted to run for more than one position in the Students’ Association. A Senate rep is a University position, however, and therefore a candidate may also run for a Students’ Association position.

Nominations

How are candidates nominated?

All candidates – with the exception of school presidents – must be self-nominated and seconded by two different matriculated students who are not banned from the Union and have no debts to the Association. School presidents do not need to be proposed and seconded.

Nominations open for all candidates on Monday 24 February at 9am. Nominations will close for all sabbatical positions on Wednesday 26 February at 5pm, and for all other positions on Friday 28 February at 5pm.

Sabbatical candidates are then required to attend the sabbatical candidates’ meeting on Wednesday 26 February at 5:30pm and the all candidates’ meeting on Friday 28 February at 5:30pm. Non-sabbatical candidates only attend the latter.

Can nominations be withdrawn?

Candidates are allowed to withdraw their nomination at any point during the election period, before the polls open. Candiates can withdraw their nomination by notifying the elections committee by email.

Campaigning

What happens during the campaign period?

Campaigning begins once the all candidates’ meeting finishes, and ends when the polls close at 6pm on Friday 7 March. Campaigning outside of this time period is not allowed.

Until the start of campaigning, campaign teams may not be larger than 30 people, not including the candidate themselves. A candidate’s campaign team is defined as anyone who actively campaigns on that person’s behalf. All ordinary, life or honorary members of the Association are entitled to campaign. The Association’s elections team has reminded candidates that they are required to ensure their campaign team is fully aware of the election rules.

Campaign rules

Blackmail, bribery, harassment and personal attacks on other candidates are strictly prohibited.

Campaigning cannot take place in lectures, seminars, lab classes or in the library. In addition, no active campaigning can take place in the Union on voting day.

Hustings and the sabbatical debate

Hustings for all candidates will take place on Monday 3 March and Tuesday 4 March. Each candidate running for a sabbatical position will get the chance to speak for four minutes, followed by six minutes of questions. All other candidates will speak for two minutes, followed by three minutes of questions.

Hustings for AU president and for school presidents will take place separately.

Hecklings in each hall of residence will also take place for sabbatical candidates only.

The sabbatical debate will happen on Wednesday 5 March and will be attended by all the sabbatical candidates, including those standing for AU president. There will be a separate debate for each position.

Candidates are allowed to speak for two minutes each, followed questions from the floor to be answered by all candidates. The debate will conclude with a one minute speech from each candidate.

Budget

The budget is £100 for sabbatical candidates and £35 for all other candidates.

All sabbatical candidates are entitled to a 50 per cent reimbursement of their budget, regardless of how many votes they win. Any sabbatical candidate who participates in the general hustings and in the sabbatical debate (or provides prior notice with a good reason for absence) will be reimbursed their full budget, regardless of how many votes they win.

All other candidates will have 50 per cent of their budget reimbursed provided they have participated in the general hustings or given prior notice with a good reason for absence.