The Other Guys take New York

0
The Other Guys performing at the Lincoln Center in New York City. Image: Samantha Marcus.
The Other Guys performing at the Lincoln Center in New York City. Photo: Samantha Marcus

2014 is still in its infancy, but it’s already a landmark year for The Other Guys, the University of St Andrews’ only all-male a cappella group. The Other Guys began the New Year with a bang with the start of their annual two-week US Tour, performing for local schools and running workshops with hopeful singers-to-be along the East Coast.

However, this year’s tour was especially exciting for The Other Guys with the celebration of the University’s 600th anniversary and the group’s own 10th anniversary. Founded in 2004, The Other Guys was created to ‘bring the American tradition of collegiate a cappella’ to good old St Andrews. Since its creation, the group has grown to international fame and recognition with their YouTube hit ‘Royal Romance’ in 2011 and performances at the Edinburgh Fringe.

One of the highlights of the tour was The Other Guys’ performance at the Lincoln Center in New York City. Performing with the University Glee Club of New York, The Other Guys delighted a full house to a selection of their top hits, from ‘St Andrews Girls’, with soloists Andrew Pattie and Tarleton Watkins III, to ‘I Only Bought You Flowers Because I Love You So’ featuring Ted Haxby. The Other Guys treated the audience with their trademark charm and tartan trousers and were greeted with a standing ovation.

After the show, the group performed an encore in the lobby of the Lincoln Center to thrilled guests, marking the end of a fantastic event. As their first performance in the acclaimed Lincoln Center, the entire group was buzzing following its success. Musical director for The Other Guys Ted Haxby said, “It was an awesome experience to perform in such a prestigious venue in conjunction with the New York Alumni Club. We had a fantastic time and are thrilled to have been involved in the performance.”

For those of you who were unable to catch the Guys’ on their North American tour, you can be sure to look forward to a homecoming performance early this semester.