2014 brings an exciting selection of events, extending beyond the fixtures of our clubs, to the Saints Sport calendar. Semester two kicked off with the ever popular Sinners, with profits from the ticket sales donated to the Athletic Union’s 2013-2014 sponsored charities, the Jonny Wookey Memorial Fund and Wooden Spoon.

The AU Exec and Saints Sport team will be participating in Scottish Student Sport’s (SSS) Challenge 2014, which is open to all who are up for it. The aim of the challenge is to complete 2014km (or 201.4km if you choose to do the mini challenge) with your team, which can either consist of ten members who record their steps over five weeks or five members who record their steps over ten weeks. Available start dates are 10 February, 17 March, or 21 April.

March’s events extend Saints Sports’ reach beyond the University. The 11th brings a Scotland-wide event to St Andrews in LEAD 2014, a programme that invites secondary schools across Scotland to send a selection of students to one of six free conferences around the country. The conferences aim to help young sports leaders develop and enhance their leadership skills and give them experience for the future. LEAD 2014 also aims to raise the profile of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games across Scotland. St Andrews joins other Scottish universities, such as Edinburgh and Stirling, in this endeavour.

The week of 7 April introduces the 2014 Healthy Body Healthy Mind (HBHM) week, which runs in conjunction with SSS. With depression and anxiety on the rise among student populations, it is important to recognise the links between good mental health and sport and exercise. Regular exercise has been proven to help alleviate the effects of mild to moderate depression and anxiety, and can be used to ensure a balanced mental wellbeing. HBHM week aims to turn its focus on what exercise can do for students. Be sure to ‘like’ the Facebook page to keep up to date with the events that will be put on during the week.

9 April brings the Tedder Challenge back to St Andrews. The sixth annual challenge against RAF Leuchars will consist of nine events: clay pigeon, cross country, football, golf, netball, rifle shooting, rugby union, squash, and mixed volleyball. The Tedder Challenge commemorates the importance of the Tedder family in the histories of both the University and the RAF. With St Andrews securing the trophy last year, winning seven of the ten events, the RAF will no doubt be back this year with a vengeance. This is not an event to be missed!

Rounding off April is the Blues and Colours Awards night on the 24th. This night serves to highlight the sporting achievements of individuals within Saints Sport and honouring athletes that have links with St Andrews. The Hall of Fame recognises the achievements of those who have performed at the highest level, have a close connection to the University and who embody the ideals of Saints Sport.

Nominations for this academic year have closed, but nominations for the following year should be directed to Jess Walker, the AU president (president@saints-sport.com). Nominations should include your own personal contact details, the details of the person you are nominating, and an outline of the achievements and eligibility of your nominee.

The annual Sports Ball on 23 May acts as the final official event of the 2013-2014 Saints Sport season. A staple event for the University’s sports clubs, Sports Ball is a fun way for club members to end the season and engage with Saints Sport. This year’s Ball will consist of a celebratory dinner and ceilidh, followed by a separate club night in Dundee. Details on how to purchase tickets will be available soon.

Finally, Saints Sport is thrilled to announce the beginning of the Sports Centre redevelopment. Following the success of summer 2013’s changes to the fitness and cardio suites, the planning stages of the redevelopment are now underway.