Sabb diary: the busy semester ahead

0

There’s so much going on in St Andrews right now, it’s almost difficult to keep up. We’re just off the back of two suc- cessful weeks – Refreshers’ and RAG. I was really pleased with how many people came out despite the main bar’s closure for our range of events, from a packed hypnotist show to a sell-out cei- lidh and Rewind ABBA tribute night, which was a huge hit that the crowd seemed to love.

As there were so many events it was difficult to get the situation with the bars right – whether you could use the Building Site Bar downstairs or the very popular bar in Venue 2 upstairs.

We’re trying to make the best use of the space we have left, and while Venue 2 has proven really popular with its new glazing and view down Market Street, we’ve also cut the price of the Bop down to £2. We realise you don’t want to have topaytogettoabar,butwealsowant to keep a full range of events (includ- ing the huge number of student events coming up), so we hope the new price means we meet everyone in the middle, and offer both bops and bars.

This is another really busy week. When The Saint is released, we’ll have just had another Sinner Sports night, and tonight will mark the return of Itchy Feet. Next week the Rollerdisco returns following its popularity last semester.

Another really exciting event I’ve been working on for a while with our SSC music officer, Anna Merryfield, and her fantastic Music is Love commit- tee is Mungo’s Hi-Fi. MiL have put on a range of music this year to identify the genres of music that students want. I lis- ten to their expertise, and here we have it: a great big sound system is coming for a live Reggae night! Tickets are £6 in advance and £8 on the door. Starting from 9.30 pm and with DJs rounding the night off till close, it’s going to be a great night (Chloe Hill plans on danc- ing all night long)!

For me, it’s great we have so many events but it’s causing a noticeable hit to my current Homeland obsession as it means I don’t really get to go home! Students are doing so much and are in- creasingly creative and ambitious.

LGBT are doing a terrific job with their upcoming Glitterball, the spark- liest (and one of the most reasonably priced) nights of 2014.

Equally busy are Mermaids. The theatre calendar is packed, and we’ve worked really hard to make sure that there is enough space in the Union to support it. They’ve just rolled out a loyalty card meaning you can see three shows and get the fourth free, and they’re also funding four great Edinburgh Fringe projects this year. Not only that but they’re hosting the St Andrews New Drama (SAND) festival in week six, and there’s a hugely ambi- tious production of Mercury Fur starting on 28 February.

The clock is ticking, with both the opening of the Rector’s Cafe (our new coffee shop) and elections just around the corner. Whether you’re running for elected office or not, as we near the point where elections swamp your Facebook newsfeeds I’d encourage you to take a deeper look at what the Union does and how you can get involved. And as ever, remember that every pound you spend goes back into supporting the huge range of student activities.