Police warning after two serious incidents of drug use in St Andrews

1
Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Two reports of serious incidents involving people taking drugs in St Andrews have led to police cautioning of the potentially fatal consequences of drug use.

Within a short space of time on the evening of Saturday 15 February, a 19-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man received medical attention after consuming drugs. The woman had taken “some powder”, according to a report in The Courier, and was taken to hospital before being later discharged. The man had consumed an unknown substance and consequently suffered breathing difficulties and chest pain. He was treated by an ambulance crew.

Police Scotland later confirmed to The Saint that of the two people involved, one had taken MDMA and the other cocaine. They added that the incidents had taken place at “university functions”.

Speaking to The Courier, Sergeant Gary Combe, of the community investigation unit for north-east Fife, said: “Thankfully, on both of these occasions, medical attention was swiftly on the scene, where, after initial treatment and assessment, both individuals were released without any serious medical consequences anticipated, although one of the victims spent a short time at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee for observations.

“This, however, should act as a warning to others of the dangers of drugs, where it is apparent that, on many occasions, the user cannot conclusively establish the type of drug before taking it.

“The reality is that any drugs taken which are not prescribed have the potential to result in serious medical health issues or even death.

“I can confirm that inquiries into these matters are continuing and would urge anyone with any information regarding the supplier of the drugs in these instances, or indeed who knows the identity of any persons involved in supplying illicit drugs, to contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

Addressing recent media reports questioning whether St Andrews is awash with drugs, however, Police Scotland added that it does not think this is the case.