What doesn’t scream love like a good sausage and egg breakfast? Maybe not if you are vegan or vegetarian (apologies), but otherwise I thoroughly recommend this wonderfully simple yet creative Valentine’s Day recipe. It’s cute but simple enough so that you don’t have to spend ages in the kitchen or scratch your head over complicated recipe books.

Heart eggs

Sausages
Eggs
Cream (for scrambled egg)
Salt and pepper
Parsley (optional)
Wooden cocktail sticks

1. Cut the sausages almost in half, leaving 2cm of one end uncut.
2. Open out the two halves of the sausage and bend each half backwards until they meet.
3. Fasten together with a cocktail stick. Note: You need the slim frankfurters (probably to be found vacuum-
packed, in a chiller somewhere near the cooked meats in the supermarket). Tinned or jarred frankfurters are too thick and will split when you try to bend and shape them.
4. Once you’ve got your heart shapes together, you can choose how to fill them with egg. You don’t have to fill them with egg – you could use tomatoes or bacon or anything else breakfast-y – but the egg, once cooked, will hold the sausage in shape, allowing you to remove the cocktail stick without the sausage snapping back to its original shape.

With whole egg

This is relatively straightforward, but can get a bit oozy if there are any gaps beneath the lower edge of the sausage and the baking tray. To try and keep spillage to a minimum, grease some foil with a little butter and fold it underneath and around the sausage
heart shape, in effect making it into a little pan. Any egg that does seep out is thus contained, and can be trimmed off once cooked.

Bake in a 160°C (140°C fan) oven for 5-10 minutes until set. Remove
foil and cocktail stick before serving.

With scrambled egg

Whisking the eggs makes them more liquid, so the best solution for serving your heart sausages with scrambled eggs is to partially cook them before filling, then finishing them off either in the oven or in the microwave.

Cook the eggs until half cooked then spoon mixture into the sausage shapes. Bake in a 160°C (140°C fan) oven for 5 minutes, or for 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave. Remove cocktail stick. Fluff the surface with a fork if necessary before serving.