For the most part, I love living in St Andrews and absolutely prefer being here to being home in the states (specifically, in the state of Ohio). But I hate missing Thanksgiving. And no matter how many Americans are here or how many crazy people try to cook a turkey in their crappy flat oven, it just isn’t the same. This year, though, I’m going to make my favorite Thanksgiving side dish in hopes that it will tide me over until November 2016 when I’m back stateside for the best holiday around.

Now most people assume they don’t like Brussel sprouts. Which is really an unfortunate oversight, because roasted with olive oil and salt, they’re basically a green vegetable masquerading as a french fry. And because everyone bypasses them while loading up their plate, there’s more for those in the know. This recipe comes from the Barefoot Contessa (or Queen Ina for the initiated) herself, and it’s a winner.

Bountiful_sprouts_(282338517)

Ingredients:

1 ½ pounds Brussel sprouts

3 tablespoons olive oil

¾ teaspoon kosher salt

½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 200°C (or 400°F, for the Americans). Cut off the ends of the sprouts and remove any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the oil and seasoning. Then pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35-40 minutes, shaking the pan every once and while to allow the spouts to brown evenly, until crispy on the outside but tender on the inside. Sprinkle with more salt when finished and serve hot.