Student Cooking: Genevieve Yam’s the best pumpkin pie ever

0

IMG_8356_2

If there’s anything food-wise that can brighten up a gloomy Scottish day and the thought of having to turn in a big, fat essay a week from now, it’s pumpkin pie. Some people love the smell of steak, pizza, or stew cooking in their kitchen. Me? I like the smell of pie. Just a few weeks ago, Bon Appétit Magazine ran a poll asking their readers whether they preferred pie or cake. I proudly stuck by pie and, just as I had sensed, a majority of Bon Appétit readers preferred pie. I mean, cake is good, but pie is just so much better. Especially when it’s pumpkin pie.

I’ve tried out a fair number of pumpkin pie recipes, and most of them have been quite good. This year, however, I wanted to make and eat a beter pumpkin pie. I wanted the best pumpkin pie ever. No heavy cream or evaporated milk, dark brown sugar, tinned pumpkin, and most definitely not something store-bought!

And when it came down to the best pumpkin pie ever , it was a recipe from My New Roots. I know, I make and adapt a lot of her recipes- but there’s a reason I do it! This pumpkin pie recipe is simple, easy, and, as always, delicious. And yes, it’s gluten-free and vegan

The Best Pumpkin Pie Ever
*makes 8-10 slices in an 8 inch pan
Pie filing:
2 cups pumpkin purée (check out my last post on how to make your own!)
2-3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon groung ginger
2 tablespoons coconut oil
3/4 cup coconut sugar or natural cane sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped, or 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
a pinch of sea salt

Crust:
2 cups gluten-free oats
1 1/2 cups toasted hazelnuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
a pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup maple syrup (or less)
2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.

Food process the hazelnuts until coarse and sandy. Remove from the processor. Place the oats in the food processor, and blend until it becomes oat flour.

Add the rest of the crust ingredients and food process until the ingredients are sticky and can be pressed into a crust.

Blend all the ingredients for the pumpkin pie filling in a large bowl, and fill the crust with the pie filling.

Bake for 40 minutes until the colour of the pie has a golden colour.

Enjoy with coconut cream or ice-cream

Courtesy Genevieve Yam’s blog at http://www.lifeislikeadumpling.com/blog/2013/10/15/pumpkin-pie

IMG_8365_2

Photos: Genevieve Yam