If you want a job, study in North America

1
Queen's University in Canada: a place that actually prepares you for life outside the classroom.

As an SYA (Senior Year Abroad – yes, it’s unusual) who’s been to four different universities in as many years, I’ve experienced more than my share of module systems. I’ve taken modules lasting just a few weeks as well as ones that stretched for a full year.

St Andrews, though, is entirely different from any university I attended back in Canada. In virtually all North American universities, taking five modules a semester is the norm, with 15 total hours of class time every week. Here, I’m only enrolled in two modules, with just four contact hours a week. While the extra “free time” sounds nice, can I possibly learn as much from two modules as I would from five?

I understand the rationale for taking just two or three modules a semester: it allows students to concentrate on their assignments and become semi-experts in the subject. But this specialisation comes at the expense of the much wider knowledge base and skill set gained at a North American university.

Personally, I love St Andrews’ system. Realistically, however, I think the North American module structure is far more practical and will eventually become the standard for most universities.

Here are the three central reasons why the North American system will predominate:

1) North American universities don’t assume that you know what you want to do with your life.

In a world where a university degree is pretty much a must for any job, plenty of students head off to university because they have to, not because they’re particularly interested in a certain subject. At an American university, students take a wide variety of modules in their first year and they don’t need to specialise until their second, or even third, year.

British universities, on the other hand, are ideal only if you already know exactly what you want to study. As a die-hard English nerd, I love spending all day in Castle House and never going near the science buildings. But for many of my friends who took a year or two to choose a major, St Andrews’ inflexible module structure is a major setback.

2) North American universities focus on output, while British universities want quality.

Taking five modules means that students can have five essays due in a week, compared to just two at St Andrews. Essays, then, become just another hurdle to jump over, rather than an opportunity for serious study and deep thought. St Andrews offers the time and focus needed to properly master a topic, rather than just churning out a half-baked argument.

The problem is that last minute essay writing seems to happen here as frequently as in North America. While the essay topics may be handed out with plenty of time for thorough research and extensive editing, students don’t seem to actually use that time. North American universities may not expect stellar work, but at least they keep students on task by supplying a constant string of deadlines. In today’s world, deadlines act as a stimulus, and St Andrews simply doesn’t provide enough of them.

St Andrews’ faculty and administrators must realise that students will not use their free time to do further reading on their subject – they will use it for social or extracurricular activity. Students will consistently do the bare minimum to obtain a high grade, which more often than not involves cramming a few weeks’ worth of neglected reading into an intensive weekend at the library. This is a reality that St Andrews remains blissfully unaware of, and one that North American universities have long accepted and adapted to.

3) North American universities prepare their students for the workforce, while British universities ready their students for grad programs.

The North American strategy of frequent deadlines, applicable assignments and diverse knowledge translates well to the workplace, where the actual facts learned are far less important than the skills gained. Having read all of Shakespeare’s plays will not help me in the “real world,” but writing more reports or preparing presentations will help me acquire workforce skills.

British universities, with their focus on intense specialisation, may be better for preparing potential graduate students. The dissertation requirement, not nearly as common at North American universities, is like a miniature graduate thesis, and the lack of contact hours supposedly encourages students to be independ- ently motivated. But ultimately, lack of contact hours only contributes to hampered student comprehension of the subject matter and serves as an incentive toward academic apathy.

As I look toward graduate studies and eventually a position as a lecturer, St Andrews’ academic focus is perfect. But for anyone who cares more about getting a job and less about epic similes in Paradise Lost, the North American system, with its frequent deadlines and diverse knowledge base, will be far more helpful. North American universities are doing their best to provide their graduates with relevant skills for the workforce – it’s time for St Andrews to catch up.

1. ‘St Andrews’ inflexible module structure is a major setback.’

St Andrews’ module structure is far more flexible than in any English university; while you do still have to do the prerequisite modules, you can at least change your degree intention. In England, almost all your modules are for the subject you have been accepted for.

‘While the essay topics may be handed out with plenty of time for thorough research and extensive editing, students don’t seem to actually use that time’

Complete generalisation. If you care, use your time wisely. Simple. It is not the fault of the university if people do not take their degree seriously. We are adults and can make our own decisions about what to prioritise.

‘St Andrews’ academic focus is perfect’

Exactly. Because it is a university, not an employee factory. I hope St Andrews stays exactly how it is.