Don’t forget, if you want to add your list to our Best of 2013 roundup, let us know in the comments or email us at arts@thesaint-online.com.

The Last of Us. Image: Naughty Dog.
The Last of Us. Image: Naughty Dog.
  1. The Last of Us
  2. Grand Theft Auto 5
  3. BioShock Infinite
  4. FIFA 14
  5. Pixlejunk Monsters Ultimate
  6. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
  7. Pokémon X & Y
  8. Beyond: Two Souls
  9. Total War: Rome II
  10. Need for Speed: Rivals

This was a year of big sequels; BioShock Infinite and GTA V finally arrived on the scene, and though both were spectacular, it was PlayStation’s new IP, The Last of Us, that stands out as my Game of the Year winner.

This title reminded much of the gaming world why their medium is so special. Personally, it was the first game to bring genuine tears to my eyes (without someone chopping onions nearby) for years. It didn’t waste time in delivering its harrowing tale either; I was sent looking for the Kleenex within the first 10 minutes. Crucially, the pace did not drop once.

Within its 10-12 hour campaign it told a constantly surprising, morally grey, post-apocalyptic tale that somehow managed to successfully mix themes of paternal desperation, zombies, slick gameplay and, of course, that scene with the giraffes. It also felt like a meaningful progression for the increasingly saturated zombie genre, and perhaps the games industry as a whole.

Building on the progress of last year’s fantastic story-led Walking Dead zombie game series, it showed us that games are still capable of reinventing themselves, even in an era that revolves around ‘safe’, big budget sequels.