Best of 2013: top 10 fashion trends

1
A model at the 2013 New York Fashion Week sports a nifty structured bag. Image: asterix611.

While there were many trends in 2013, these 10 in particular were most commonplace amongst celebrities, runways and most importantly – normal girls in St Andrews and around the world.

1. Beanies

The craze began with Cara Delevigne, as she warmed her head between runway shows in beanies candidly exclaiming, ‘Ain’t no Wifey’ and ‘Bad Hair Day’. Not only are the messages funny and cute, but the beanies are also a soft and warm addition to one’s fall/winter wardrobe. For more fashion-shy girls, simple beanies still reigned supreme over other hats on the runways this year, remaining a classic one should invest in.

2. Structured bags

On the runways, pages of magazines and arms of celebrities, structured bags (far right) have taken over. These bags add an air of lady-like class – even to the typical student ensemble of sweatpants and a jumper. While Givenchy, Saint Laurent and Céline have produced the most popular options amongst celebrities, Asos and Cambridge Satchel Company provide far more affordable and practical options.

3. Downton Abbey chic

For fall, designers fell in love with the textures of Downton Abbey era fashion – furs, velvets, lace, beading, and mid length dresses. This historic revival clearly proves that classic and quality pieces will stay on the runway for years to come.

4. Neon

During the spring of 2013, the runways were hyper-charged with highlighter-bright dresses, pants, blazers and accessories. The most hyped neon collection during spring of 2013 was that of Louis Vuitton, which featured mod outfits shift dresses and accessories in neon yellow checkerboard. This collection was a massive success amongst the fashion set – and those that were far too tired of last winter’s dark hues.

5. Flatforms

Ever since they appeared on Prada’s runway in spring of 2011, this trend hasn’t gone anywhere. A favourite for its comfort, height-adding capabilities and instant hipster edge, flatforms are a chic take on the traditional sneaker or ballet flat.

6. Boyfriend throw coat

Dubbed the ‘throw coat’, this comfortable and warm jacket provides its wearer with an instant street style sensibility. Despite their initially unflattering appearance, the ‘throw coat’ makes even the tallest girl look tiny – and allows anyone a few extra Dervish runs.

7. Sheer cut-outs

Sheer cut outs are the modest sibling of cut out dresses – providing the same appeal without appearing too revealing (when done right). These cut outs are usually found in side panels of edgier dresses, but also around the neckline amongst more feminine styles.

8. Camouflage print gone chic

Ever since spring of 2013, camouflage has exploded in its popularity. This trend transcends the boundary between high fashion and high street, proving its worth amongst even the most posh celebrities and downtown hipsters.

9. Sneaker wedges

This sporty trend first gained its popularity from Isabel Marant’s runway, slowly garnering recognition from celebrities and fashion magazines alike. Normal girls adore this trend for its comfortable but height-adding properties.

10. Graphic jumpers

Popularised by their prevalence on the runways at Givenchy and Kenzo, this trend is adored by fashion girls and celebrities alike. The comfort of a jumper mixed with the artistic vibe of a runway piece? Yes please. Luckily, there are also plentiful arrays of jumpers in high street and vintage shops that don’t cost several hundred pounds – but still pack the same punch.