Best of 2013: top 10 albums

0

Don’t forget, if you want to add your list to our Best of 2013 roundup, let us know in the comments or email us at arts@thesaint-online.com.

Yeezus

Keegan Hudson

1. Kanye West – Yeezus
  2. Veronica Falls – Waiting For Something To Happen
  3. My Bloody Valentine – MBV
  4. Vampire Weekend – Modern Vampires of the City
  5. The Pastels – Slow Summits
  6. Fear of Men – Early Fragments
  7. Joanna Gruesome – Weird Sisters
  8. Camera Obscura – Desire Lines
  9. Golden Grrrls – Self Titled
  10. Swearin’ – Surfing Strange

Man, 2013 was an awesome year for music. This is my first time publishing a top ten list and I never imagined it would be this hard!

I picked a few hater-records this time around: besides the LP that tops my list, Vampire Weekend always receive a lot of stick. If it weren’t for a few weak tracks on the second side of the New York indie rockers’ album, I think it would have easily been my favourite record of the year. Side A of Modern Vampires of the City is pure pop gold.

My Bloody Valentine also came back in a big way; after a 0-year hiatus there was a triumphant return with MBV. Kevin Shields and crew revisit the gauzy guitar sound that made the Dublin rockers famous, with a new and powerful delivery.

However, at the end of the day it was pretty clear who was going to reign supreme. Yeezus is an impeccable record, it’s raw and perfect, and I kept returning to it. There’s not a single track on it that I don’t love.

Annabel Smith

Savages – Silence Yourself

In a musical landscape which often encourages female artists to attract attention based on their sexual appeal, Savages stormed into our hearts like a breath of fresh air (breaking the door down whilst they were at it). With heavy guitars, reverb and booming vocals, this album injected a necessary dose of riot grrrl into the music scene this year.

Mount Kimbie – Cold Spring, Faultless Youth

With their second album, Mount Kimbie were once again effortlessly able to capture the sound of London (think Peckham rather than Kensington). Exhibiting an idiosyncratic combination of sparse electronica, beautiful textures, and unrestrained vocals with some help from up and comer King Krule, this record is undoubtedly a stand out for those who like their sounds a little left of the charts.