The 600th Finale Ball is quite literally a once in a lifetime event. After seemingly several years of turning 600, this is it: the final celebration. The Saint sat down with event organisers Pat Mathewson, Katherine Weight and Sean McDonald of the Fellowship of St Andrews to find out what we can expect.

Taking place on Lower College Lawn, the ball will have the usual champagne reception, Scottish piper and union bar, but we were promised there would be plenty of surprises to keep the night exciting. Drawing inspiration from other balls, the organisers said they had tried to take the best aspects and merge these together to make the night as enjoyable as possible. For example, there will be portaloos to avoid the awkward walk back into Sallies quad, and an easily accessible cloakroom.

The dress code: formal, but in keeping with the age of the University we’ll be encouraged to put a vintage feel to it. More information will be released near the time, along with a what to wear guide – be sure to check out next week’s copy of The Saint. For now, it’s cryptically left as “black tie, but put your own twist on it.”

As for entertainment, the night will be opened by St Andrews staple The Other Guys, followed by a whole host of other names including the up-and-coming DJ April Vellacott. The night will close with the headliner: international superstar Del Pello, all the way from Amsterdam, who has opened for the likes of Avicii, Benny Benassi and Otto Knows.

The ball is the culmination of a full day of events, including a food festival and a ceilidh and promises to be great finale to the 600th anniversary celebrations. Organisers said they were expecting a bit of 600th fatigue by now but enthusiasm has been overwhelming, with the first 600 tickets selling like hot cakes – to the extent that the event has been expanded to allow a total of 1,400 guests to attend.

This isn’t just another ball, and it’s not just unique because it’s only happening once; this promises to be a really phenomenal night, and the perfect finish to the 600th celebrations.