Would it work? The verdict

0

Before you read the verdict of our panel and have your say, make sure you read our two competing business ideas:

Camilla is the business manager of  The Saint and has worked at Superdrug for the past three years. She knows everything about how businesses work in St Andrews, from budgets to staff turnover.

Jonathan: What confuses me is the timings. How many people actually want to go for coffee after 10pm? Call me old-fashioned, but if I’m having a night-in doing work and not drinking, it tends to go hand-in-hand with early bed; brain activity and caffeine consumption cease at about 9pm. We already have two places open until 10pm – my theory is that if the demand was there, they would have already done it. For this reason, I’m out.

Caleb: An interesting idea, and I am particularly drawn in by the late night aspect of it. St Andrews is somewhat lacking in the fast food department, and the ratio of students to kebab shops means the post-bop 2 a.m. hunger pang must be dealt with with military precision in order to avoid ending up at the Shell garage with a Pot Noodle. I can see an element of sense in this business plan, so I’m completely on board.

Elliott is the editor of the Money section of The Saint. He has interviewed many local business owners and seen many start ups come and go in his four years in St Andrews.

Jonathan: I disagree with Camilla on this one. I think that this idea really has legs. Students working in the library until 2am often have cravings for something more than the vending machine could offer. I think that, especially around exam time when the library opens for 24 hours, it would be very popular. I’m not convinced that outside of these times the demand is high enough, but you’d do very well to open either a pop-up or a food truck. I’m on board.

Caleb: I think the late night food market in St Andrews is already a crowded one. On the other hand, your idea is as fresh and welcome as the guacamole I’m imagining on these burritos. Again, the key would be to keep costs really low. Business rates and licenses can be incredibly expensive, but if you could sell from a food truck rather than an expensive high-street unit, saving a fortune on rent, then you could well form a small, successful business. I’m on board.

[wpsqt name=”Would it work?” type=”poll”]