The Union Debating Society’s most recent public debate on the motion “This House Believes Britain Should Abolish Its Nuclear Weapons” was another full of exciting speeches and top-notch speakers. Held in Lower Parliament Hall the debate featured four engaging speakers, who debated whether the benefits of nuclear weaponry outweighed the consequences.

Arguing in favour of Britain’s nuclear disarmament, Dr Rebecca Johnson paired up with Marco Biagi MSP. Speaking for the opposition were UDS co-chief whip Alex Don and Max Wirka, the debates convener for St Andrews Model United Nations.

The floor was then opened for speeches from the audience. After a brief final summation by the first speakers of the proposition and opposition, the motion was put to a vote. With a result of 41 in favour of the motion and 62 against, the motion fell.

Can’t get enough of debate? This coming Thursday, 3 October, UDS will be debating the motion “This House Believes Austerity Has Failed” in conjunction with the Economics Society.

UDS Austerity Failed

A much-anticipated event, the debate will feature four incredible expert speakers. Speaking first for the proposition is Ann Pettifor, a director of policy research in macroeconomics and fellow of the New Economics Foundation. She will be joined by Tim Roache, GMB regional secretary for Yorkshire and North Derbyshire. Prominent speakers for the opposition include Mark Littlewood, the director general of the Institute of Economic Affairs, and Dr Madsen Pirie, president of the Adam Smith Institute. Doors open at 19:30, with a port reception until the debate at 20:00. As always, gowns are encouraged but not required.

The UDS is also hosting a pre-debate dinner at Zizzi’s for speakers and is inviting students on a first-come, first-served basis. If interested, contact Alyssa Muzyk at am297@st-andrews.ac.uk for more information and to reserve a seat.

Photos: Union Debating Society