Serves 4

[pullquote]There is nothing fancy about it I must admit, but it is great value for money and is practically fool-proof.[/pullquote]

This recipe (which I shamelessly stole from my mum) is a great one to put on in the morning and not have to worry about it until it is time to eat later on. There is nothing fancy about it I must admit, but it is great value for money and is practically fool-proof. Perfect to either share with friends, or freeze in portions and save for an easy rainy day meal (…and have on ciabatta with chips!)

Ingredients

2 Apples

2 tbsp. fennel Seeds

2 tbsp. dill

Chicken stock

1.5kg rolled pork shoulder with the skin taken off (ask the butcher to do this, but don’t throw it away!)

3-5 new potatoes per person

Method

• Preheat your oven to around gas mark 4/180°c/350°f
  • Rub the pork all over with the spices, making sure it gets in every nook and cranny.
  • Peel, core and cut up your apple into chunks and chuck it in the bottom of a large casserole dish.
  • Place pork on top of the apple so it isn’t touching the bottom of the pan and pour in chicken stock until it reaches half way up the meat.
  • Place a tight lid on the casserole dish and roast in the oven for around 6 hours; check it after 3 to make sure it is cooking away nicely and baste the juices over the top of the meat
  • Once the pork getting towards the end of its cooking, it would be a good time to make some crackling with the skin and fat from the pork. Take it out of the oven and set it aside. The pork should be almost falling apart at this point.
  • The easiest way to do this is to cut it into thin strips (or ask your butcher to do it). Put it on a baking sheet with a good sprinkling of salt and place another on top to keep it from curling up as it cooks. Place it in the oven on a high heat for around half an hour, draining the excess fat off regularly.
  • To make gravy with the stock that the pork was in, remove the pork and cover it in foil. Mash up the apples in the bottom of the casserole dish and heat the liquid on the hob until it reduces down and thickens. The apples will practically dissolve into the gravy, so there is no need to strain it.

Crushed potatoes

Boil new potatoes until they are cooked through, then place them on a baking tray and crush them slightly with a fork. Drizzle with oil and cook them on a high heat until crispy. 

Tips

The pork is perfectly fine to freeze once it’s cooked, so is great to save plenty and defrost whenever you fancy a pulled pork sandwich, fajitas, or a stir-fry.

Instead of dill and fennel seeds, chilli flakes and paprika are great spices to rub onto the pork for a bit of extra kick.