St Andrews forms new £14.2m postgraduate funding scheme

0
Photo: Karen V Bryan

The University of St Andrews is one of seven Scottish universities forming a new Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) to support postgraduate students in the arts and humanities.

The DTP has received £14.2 million in funding from the Arts and Humanities Council. It will provide about 200 funded doctoral studentships across all of the Council’s subjects.

Along with St Andrews, the partnership includes Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling and Strathclyde universities, as well as the Glasgow School of Art. These institutions will work together and will use the University of Glasgow as an administrative centre.

Applications for the Doctoral Training Partnership will open early next year for PhD entry into participating intuitions in October 2014.

Alongside the DTP a Scottish Graduate School for Arts and Humanities (SGSAH) shall also be set up, having gained £1.8 million from the Scottish Funding Council for its creation.

Professor Murray Pittock, vice principal and head of the College of Arts at the University of Glasgow, spoke on behalf of all the universities involved. He called the SGSAH “a potentially transformative step in changing the landscape of arts and humanities doctoral provision in Scotland, [allowing] strategic decisions affecting Scottish postgraduate education to be made in Scotland.

“The SGSAH will develop doctoral researchers across Scotland who not only recognise the value of arts & humanities research but who have the skills, experience, aspiration and confidence to apply that research in addressing issues of economic, social and cultural importance.”

The SGSAH aims to create strong partnerships with over 30 other organisations such as the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce and the National Galleries of Scotland.

Professor Rick Rylance, chief executive of the Arts and Humanities Council, said: “This is an important step forward in delivering the best possible training and support for postgraduate students in the arts and humanities, and in developing a collaborative approach which pools expertise and expands horizons for postgraduate researchers.

“We are delighted at how the sector and partners beyond the sector have responded, and we look forward to working closely with them to support the next generation.”