From the editor

0

Welcome to issue 175 of The Saint. As ever, the paper as a whole, not just this little corner that will for­ever be sport, is full to the brim of the finest and most incisive stu­dent journalism St Andrews has to offer.

Standing outside the library hawking The Saint to those who ea­gerly gobble it up or to be politely declined by those gripping a copy in their hand already is a reason­ably reaffirming experience; it shows that people are giving your efforts at least a modicum of inter­est and due deference.

Yet when you have been stand­ing in the chill Fife air with the rain peppering down on you as the droves are striding past, your faith in mankind and indeed why you do this begins to waver. Yet, as Margaret Thatcher once said to an American president, this is “no time to go wobbly.”

In a great book on football pho­tography called A Casual Look there is a picture of a teen, equipped with bad haircut, Rudolf-esque nose and anorak, selling a fanzine outside a ground somewhere. For those of you not aware, in the 1980s football underwent something of a revolution with fans beginning to articulate their beliefs in a more coherent fashion than previously experienced, mainly in the form of print fanzines. Challenging chairmen, the football authorities, dodgy left backs and the somewhat questionable quality of pies on of­fer, they were available outside most grounds across Britain. Some were indifferent, some were bad and some were fantastically witty and insightful publications that campaigned to change their clubs for the better – but each and every single one of them was put together with a great amount of dedication, care and emotional investment.

Sadly the internet, high print­ing costs and, dare I say it, real life have killed off many of these publications. So I was pleasantly surprised to discover in a newsa­gents in Manchester this week that it stocked several Manchester United and Manchester City fan­zines (including the incredibly well put together and oft controversial Red Issue). I bought a copy of each one and I must say they were still an engaging, funny and thoughtful read. In an era of the tablet and in­ternet they might be the last of the dinosaurs but they are very wel­come dinosaurs.

Nothing feels better than sitting down with a paper and absorbing something that has had so much ef­fort poured into it.

The population of St Andrews seem to recognise that and I ap­plaud them. Enjoy the issue and I look forward to seeing you all pick­ing up a copy outside the library come rain, hail or shine.