Feed me for under a fiver

0

Sweet potato, beetroot and fig with roast feta and balsamic reduction

This dish is easy, quick and makes you look like a pro. The fact that everything can be assembled in advance means this makes an easy starter for a dinner party or a cold for a really good lunch if you’re in a rush. October and the autumn means ‘tis the season for sweet potato, beetroots and figs so enjoy while they’re abundant and cheap! I’ll have beetroot with pretty much anything and everything. I will sit and eat the crinkle cut stuff that comes in industrial sized jars until I start to sweat pink, but nothing ever really comes close to the taste of fresh beetroot. The name of this dish sounds like a lot of ingredients, but it’s really just a posh salad. I like to cut up the feta in a big triangle or a leave in a large block when serving. It tends to tie the whole dish together. This makes for a lovely meat-free starter or add more vegetables for a lighter main course. But if you’re feeling flush, add some prosciutto or parma ham.

Serves 2

2 cooked beetroot cut into wedges – 40p
1 large sweet potato, peeled, sliced and then halved to half moon shapes- 40p
2/3rds of a packet of feta, cut into 2 large blocks. You can choose whatever shape you so desire. £1.50
2 figs cut into wedges – 50p
Bag of salad leaves- £1
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar – negligible
1tbsp honey – negligible

Total: £3.80

1. Preheat the oven to 220c.
  2. Place sweet potato in a roasting tray with a drizzle of oil. Season and roast for 15 minutes.
  3. Add the beetroot to the roasting tray and toss in oil- mix with sweet potato chunks. Scatter figs into mix then place the blocks of feta on top and roast for a further 10- 15 minutes until beetroot starts to crisp at the edges and the feta starts to brown at the edges.
  4. In a small saucepan, add the vinegar and the honey and simmer until syrupy. Should only take about 5 minutes. Keep stirring and don’t let the mixture burn. Burnt balsamic fumes will sting your eyes and leave an unholy mess at the bottom of your pan.
  5. Arrange salad leaves on plate and scatter the vegetables.
  6. Place feta on top and drizzle the balsamic dressing over. Season and serve.