Mermaids: The University of St Andrews Performing Arts Fund will be hosting its annual Christmas Ball on Sunday 1 December. The event sells out every year, with 1400 students attending this formal evening. Set in the beautiful surroundings of the Kinkell Byre, the Mermaids Christmas Ball has become a staple in the St Andrews’ student calendar. Only this year it’s back, and boy do they have a treat for you.

Mermaids is hugely excited to reveal that this year’s ball will be unlike any previous years. As if a Christmas setting wasn’t enough to get you in the festive spirit, the event will be based entirely around the theme of Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. With chocolate fountains galore and hundreds of edible decorations, the night promises to bring the unforgettable experience of Wonka’s Chocolate Factory to St Andrews itself.

But there would be no Charlie and the Chocolate Factory without a golden ticket! For every 100th ticket sold, the winner will be given a ‘golden ticket’ to claim one of many fantastic prizes. Included so far are six VIP tours courtesy of Eden Brewery (including a tasting session from their Craft Range and Oak Wood series) and vouchers from Hepburn Nails and Jannetta’s Gelateria.

Mermaids is thrilled to reveal a packed evening of live music. BBC Radio 1’s Danny Howard will be travelling up from London to play a live DJ set. As one of the most popular DJs on the UK dance scene, he will be playing a mixture of electro-house and remixed chart tracks. His debut album Clubbers Guide 2013 from Ministry of Sound reached number one in the iTunes dance music chart. The evening will begin with St Andrews’ very own Blueswater and finish with a DJ set from Ma Bells favourite Joe Jones.

Mermaids ball convenor Natalie English said: “We are so incredibly excited about this year’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory theme! Mermaids Christmas Ball has always been a popular event, but this year we want it to be a truly unforgettable experience. With BBC Radio 1’s Danny Howard playing a live set, combined with unlimited sweeties and chocolate fountains, we think we have the makings of this year’s stand out event. Look out for the Oompa Loompas!”

Tickets will be on sale on 7 and 8 November in the Barron Theatre for £35. One ticket and you’re golden.