I’ve been excited for this event ever since I interviewed the ball convenor last week. She was really keen for the ball to serve as a social platform for IR students, allowing faculty and students alike to mix. Once I entered Younger Hall, where the ball was held, I realised that the committee had definitely achieved their target. Everyone around me was talking to each other, students mixed with tutors and professors.

This was the most stylish ball I have ever been to. All the decorations were in a single, classy style – the dimmed light created a special atmosphere of certain mystery, and I absolutely loved the idea of fairy lights on the stage! There were two casino tables in the main venue, and a bar in the foyer where drinks created specially for the night were served.

The entire night ran to schedule and began with a reception for tutors and professors. I think that the reception alone was a good reason to organise this ball. Lecturers and tutors talked to their students, but I was also surprised at the number of students that didn’t actually study IR. Live music and a free glass of champagne made this part of the ball even more appealing and classy.

Once the reception was over, The Hummingbirds performed a few songs. I have to admit that I could barely hear what the girls were singing as everyone around me could not stop chatting. Once The Hummingbirds had finished their performance, The Other Guys entered the stage. The audience became a bit quieter, especially after they performed their hit songs St Andrews Girls and Royal Romance.

The hip hop of Get Free was an interesting choice to follow the a cappella performances, but it was still a good change from familiar bop tunes.

From my point of view, this year’s Ambassadors Ball absolutely fulfilled its objectives. I’ve never seen so much enthusiasm from professors when it comes to informal interaction with students! I hope this ball will become an annual event and that the one next year will be even better.

Photo credit: Helena Fornells Nadal

1. Great to hear everyone had fun and this ball brought the staff faculty and students closer to each other. I am sure lot of work and dedication went into this to make the event a great success.