The University of St Andrews will be named Scottish university of the year in the Times and Sunday Times University Guide.

The achievement means that St Andrews was also shortlisted for UK university of the year. The University will be ranked fourth the in UK by the guide, equalling its highest ever ranking by the Times or Sunday Times. This is an improvement on last year when St Andrews was ranked sixth.

The guide also revealed that St Andrews achieved a  student satisfaction rating of 85.9% which is the highest in Scotland and one of the highest in the UK. Its facilities spend per student is the highest in Scotland at £2,298 and its graduate prospects are the second highest in Scotland.

The news comes just over a week after the University achieved its highest ever ranking of 83rd in the QS world university rankings and the academic celebrations for the 600th anniversary took place.

Professor Louise Richardson, the principal, said: “The timing of this announcement, as we reach the conclusion of our 600th anniversary celebrations, is auspicious. Luck however has absolutely nothing to do with the achievement itself. It is due entirely to the talent and dedication of all who work and study here; our academic schools, our service units and our students, who are the ultimate ambassadors for the unique blend of research-led teaching which is at the heart of the St Andrews mission.”

In a message to St Andrews staff and students, Professor Richardson said she hoped they would all “take considerable pride” in the part they had played in helping St Andrews secure the university of the year title.