In with the ‘Old’: Tom Morris’ store gets a welcome makeover

0
Tom Morris2
Photo: Maria Faciolince

The recently launched Tom Morris clothing line takes its name, and much more besides, from one of St Andrews’ most iconic residents, and is looking to build on almost two hundred years of history as it establishes itself in the town and beyond.

While Old Tom Morris is, of course, known as one of the most influential figures in golfing history, the clothes that bear his name go beyond the sport. The collection isn’t about golf, but about the attributes and qualities that made Morris such an incredible individual. “Yes, he was a sporting icon, but much more than that he was a pioneer amongst men, determined to succeed as much with his ideas as with his clubs.” Says Lisa Cameron, Tom Morris’ Marketing Manager, “And this attitude lives on in these clothes; an innovative character, fighting spirit, bravery.”

The focal point for Tom Morris in St Andrews is their recently refurbished store adjacent to the Old Course’s 18th green. Situated in the very same building in which Morris opened the world’s first golf shop back in 1866, a lengthy renovation has restored the store to a condition very close to that in which its famous owner had kept it.

There were some astonishing discoveries made during the lengthy refit as well, as Cameron relates: “After ripping out decades upon decades of shop fitting we uncovered items that actually belonged to Tom including his locker which is on show in the shop today. We uncovered the original floor in his workshop, the fireplace where he made golf balls and the workbench where he repaired clubs. It was unbelievable to see his story unfolding right in front of us.”

Going forward, things are looking very positive for Tom Morris, with the brand having already been nominated for a Scottish Fashion Award this year. And in the future, we could well see a famous St Andrean emblem on shirts, blazers and luggage throughout the country, and even across the world. In the meantime though, you can visit the place where it all started 147 years ago, right here in town.