IDEAS Conference: Powering the Future

0

The Carnegie Club of St Andrews (CC) will host the IDEAS Conference: Powering the Future on Friday 4 October from 9:15-16:00. Aimed at students studying management, economics, sustainable development, international relations, history, languages, geography, geology and chemistry, as well as any others curious about the future of energy, the conference will include three panels, a career-oriented interactive activity and a networking lunch. These panels include: ‘Power Politics and Revolutions’, ‘Energy Sector: Fossilised Monopolies?’ and ‘Fuelling Entrepreneurship and Innovation’.

IDEAS Conference

“At the Conference we aim to ask and answer the big questions. As the energy needs of the world change, so do the demands for more innovative solutions,” CC president James Penn said. “How do we power a planet of 10 billion people sustainably? How do we finance that innovation? How can you break in to this industry? Who are the key players and the big thinkers? How can I join them? Come meet them!”

The ‘Power Politics and Revolutions’ panel will include speakers J Todd Morley, CEO of G2 Investment Group, New York; Sir Menzies Campbell MP, former leader of the Liberal Democrats and chancellor of the University of St Andrews; and Roger Cabrera, director of advisory at Oxford Analytica.

John Purvis MEP, Niall Stuart, CEO of Scottish Renewables, and Paul Younger, professor of energy engineering at the University of Glasgow, will speak during the second panel ‘The Energy Sector: A Fossilised Monopoly?’

Finally, the ‘Fueling Entrepreneurship and Innovation’ panel speakers are set to be: George Percy, managing director of Cluff Geothermal; Dima Rifai, CEO of Paradigm Change Capital Partners; and John Ferguson, CEO of EcoideamM.

“As a Club we aim to act as the bridge between academia and business; through our various events we aim to foster evidence-based and critical debate between the leaders of today so that they may pass on their wisdom and experience to the leaders of tomorrow,” Mr Penn said.

Tickets can be purchased online or in front of the library. For more information, visit the CC website, the Facebook event and the IDEAS Conference brochure, which features speaker bios.

Photo: Carnegie Club of St Andrews