A cappella concert vs Ian Dee

0

Every week we’ll put two events head to head. But we want to know what you think! Vote for your favourite night and see who comes out on top. This week, the a cappella concert and Ian Dee: Hypnotist.

A cappella concert

HummingbirdsWith Matthew Gibson and Leon O’Rourke hosting the show,  it was bound to have a certain level of entertainment. I was not prepared, however, for just how much energy, enthusiasm and excellent singing these groups would bring to the stage.

Gibson and O’Rourke warmed the crowd up with a short routine before welcoming out the acts that included a funny bit about what Gibson misses most from his Freshers’ Week: “You guys can still decide who your friends are gonna be!” The crowd seemed to really enjoy their jokes and stories, with only one lone voice at the back yelling for the concert to start.

First on stage were the Hummingbirds, who opened their set with a beautiful rendition of Demi Lovato’s Skyscraper. As they moved into Bruno Mars’ Locked Out of Heaven, the energy picked up. Unfortunately there were times throughout their set when the background singers and beat-boxing overpowered the main singer. Following each set, Gibson and O’Rourke came out to offer their best lines as a transition to the next group.

Up next were the Alleycats. Their set started off with a Sweet Dreams mashup, that the audience seemed to really enjoy, but the cherry on top would have to be when they sang Home. The song was fun and upbeat, and the Alleycats really made it their own. They truly put their all into the set, and it showed.

Third on stage were the Accidentals. They began with Get Ur Freak On, complete with a very entertaining dance break, followed by a mashup of Pricetag and Where is the Love? Overall, their set was high quality.

Finally, clear crowd favourite (at least among the female population) The Other Guys appeared on stage for their set. While I was quite excited for their performance, I found myself disappointed by their song choices. Although they were great songs, they are also very ‘done’ songs from TOG. I’m a huge fan of these guys and love watching them perform, but it would be nice to see some new songs added to their repertoire (other than St Andrean Skies of course, which still gives me chills).

Overall, it was an amazing night, and definitely something that I’d love to see again at the Union this semester!

Ian Dee

Ian Dee HypnotistI don’t even know where to begin with this one. I laughed, I cried (from laughing so hard) and generally had a wonderful evening watching the hypnotist’s ‘volunteers’ on stage. From the onset, I was in disbelief that Ian Dee would be able to hypnotize people, and regardless of whether or not that’s what he actually did, I found his entire show to be well worth the 90 or so minutes that I spent in the Union on Thursday evening.

Ian Dee said many times that his act required a great imagination from these volunteers. In addition to that, he had to make sure they were in a “deep state of relaxation,” a phrase that was repeated countless times over the course of the show. The show started off with simple enough tasks for those on stage: playing the piano, riding a donkey down the beach and impersonating a washing machine. Things took a weird and quite funny turn when they were told to huddle for warmth then woke up nuzzling perfect strangers seated next to them.

Possibly one of the most hilarious moments of the show occurred when two volunteers, Courtney and Andrew, were told to impersonate Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber when their respective songs came on. Courtney’s dancing and Andrew’s face when the music stopped were priceless.

Finally, seven volunteers were told they were in the running to “win” £6,000,000 in a “lottery.” As Dee announced each number, the volunteers became increasingly more excited, until he got to the final number that is. At this point, he told them to be more agitated: “You are now 2,000 times more agitated.” One volunteer yelled: “Do your job!” while others simply mumbled their annoyance. Finally, they were allowed to swear at him, but only in Japanese. Now this was a truly perfect stipulation, as none of the volunteers knew Japanese. But oh did they try! When they all started yelling in their respective versions of ‘Japanese’, I actually had tears rolling down my face. I genuinely can’t remember the last time I laughed that much!

The hypnotist evening was by far the best thing I have ever seen in the Union. Even if they were conscious and lucid the entire time, it was well worth going! I would absolutely recommend seeing Ian Dee if you get the chance. Perhaps he will make a reappearance at next year’s Freshers’. Or even Re-Freshers? (I hope!)

[wpsqt name=”A Capella Concert vs The Hypnotist Ian Dee” type=”poll”]

Photos: Maria Faciolince and Caralina Wonnacott