St Andrews is a small town but that doesn’t mean you have to give up on shopping altogether. I have put together this list of some of the best places to buy clothes in St Andrews, but there are more to choose from to suit your budget and style if you have a look around.

1. High street names

St Andrews doesn’t have much in the way of high street stores but don’t worry, even the keenest shopper will find enough to get by. Familiar names such as H&M and New Look on Market Street give you basic high street fashion at cheap prices. H&M offers both male and female fashion but New Look only stocks ladies’ clothing. New Look offers a 10% discount in store if you show your student card.

Jack Wills, the famous university outfitter, is popular with students and although the store is smaller than those in bigger cities it caries the key male and female pieces each season. Fat Face, which is also on Market Street, is again smaller than branches in bigger cities but you will find the most popular pieces. I particularly like to shop there for some nice winter woolies that are a must in the cold Scottish winter.

Monsoon on Market Street is great for picking up a cocktail dress at the last minute and the connecting branch of Accessorize stocks a selection of jewellery, winter woolies, bags and other accessories at reasonable prices. They also offer discounts to students. Phase Eight, opposite Monsoon, also offer some formal dresses, so you have plenty of choice when it comes to choosing something for one of the many balls throughout the year.

There are also a number of other brands such as Joules and White Stuff that tend to gear their clothes to a slightly older crowd, but they may still be worth a look.

One of the best things about St Andrews, however, is that there are lots of great little independent shops, so if you are looking for something special perhaps try some of the boutique stores instead.

2. Elisabeth May boutique

This shop is situated on St Mary’s Place, almost opposite the Union and beside the Vic. It stocks a wide variety of clothes, shoes and accessories from designers and high street names. You can find everything from casual day dresses that are perfect for wearing to lectures, to cocktail dresses that are perfect for a formal event. Items range in price but they often have great offers so keep an eye on their Facebook page if you are looking for a bargain.

3. Manifesto Classics

Manifesto Classics is a menswear shop on South Street. It offers many top brands like Converse, Hackett, Ralph Lauren and Barbour. The shop is nicely laid out and the staff are friendly, which makes for a great shopping experience. More information can be found on their Facebook page.

4. Fox and Bhut

Fox and Bhut doesn’t have a permanent home. It is a pop up shop that appears beside the fountain on Market Street (opposite Bonkers) in a retro caravan. They sell ethical, quirky and retro style clothes and accessories for girls, so you really can pick up something completely different. Make sure you check out their website to see when they will be back in St Andrews.

5. Charity shops

Although some of you may cringe at the thought of wearing second hand clothes, you can find some lovely unique items at really cheap prices while supporting a great cause. I have found some things that look brand new for just a fraction of the price. St Andrews has a great variety of charity shops, and if you have a little bit of time it can be worth your while to shift through the hordes of junk to find something fantastic. My personal favourite is the Cancer Research store on South Street but there is a charity shop on almost every corner. A list can be found here.