Credit: The Edinburgh Festival Fringe Society.

The Edinburgh Festival Fringe is upon us. The world’s largest arts festival can always be trusted to play host to some of the finest performers and exhibitions around, and this year is no exception, with thousands of artists, actors, comics and musicians descending on Scotland’s capital for more than three weeks of excellent entertainment.

Naturally, no such gathering of talent would be complete without the attendance of some of St Andrews’ best and brightest, and this year there are several shows, curated by our very own Mermaids theatre fund, that will showcase the work of the university’s superbly creative populace.

Below is a brief guide to the St Andrews-related acts you can catch in Edinburgh over the coming weeks. If you know of any we’ve missed, then do let us know in the comments.

Angels In America, Part One: Millennium Approaches (Theatre)

Where/When: C Venues, Aquila Temple: August 11 – 17, 22:20 – 00:50

More: Director Adelaide Waldrop’s excellent production of Tony Kushner’s seminal play on beginnings of the AIDS epidemic in 1980s New York City is making a welcome jump to the Fringe. You can read The Saint’s glowing review from earlier this year here, but if you missed it in The Bubble, now is your chance to catch this complex, moving and ingenious piece of theatre.

The Tempest in the Firth of Forth (Theatre)

Where/When: Summerhall: August 6 – 8, 11:15 – 14:45 | August 9, 12:15 – 15:45 | August 12 – 15, 14:15 – 17:45

More: After the success of last year’s acclaimed production of Macbeth on Inchcolm Island, anticipation is high for this open-air take on Shakespeare’s classic. Named as a ‘Top Ten must-see Edinburgh Festival Fringe show’ by The Scotsman, it promises to be a fantastically unique and evocative theatrical experience.

Check out more details at http://tempest-firth-of-forth.com/

The Goddess of Walnuts (Theatre)

Where/When: Paradise in the Vault: August 3 – 11 & 13 – 18, 19:00 – 19:30

More: The Fringe plays host to the world premiere of this bittersweet comedy from award-nominated playwright Tim Foley. Depicting the tense relationship between an ageing actress and her assistant, the play promises intrigue and spontaneity by asking the audience to select which of the two actresses plays which role.

Check out more details at http://thecatherinesclub.co.uk/

Blind Mirth (Comedy)

Where/When: Paradise in the Vault: August 13 – 18 & 20 -26, 20:45 – 21:45

More: For those unfamiliar with Blind Mirth, they are St Andrews’ oldest, best and only improv troupe, and they’re very, very funny. Always worth seeing here in The Bubble, you can expect even more fantastic off-the-cuff humour from the Mirth gang in their Fringe performances. Be sure to head along, and be prepared to get involved.

The St Andrews Revue (Comedy)

Where/When: Just the Tonic at The Caves: August 2 – 12 & 14 – 25, 15:20 – 16:20

More: Returning to the Fringe with their celebrated selection of ‘ludicrous sketches, smirk-raising songs, and other diverting frivolities’, The St Andrews Revue are an ideal choice for those looking to indulge in some locally-sourced comedy while in Edinburgh. They’re also performing in a cave, which is pretty awesome in itself.

Check out more details here: http://www.thestandrewsrevue.com/

The Other Guys: One Night Stand (A Capella)

Where/When: Greyfriars Kirk: August 16, 19:30 – 21:30

More: Kate Middleton-stealing, Christmas chart-bothering, A Capella hunks The Other Guys are in Edinburgh for one night only. Tickets for this one-off show are likely to go quickly, so if you want to catch the Guys’ exclusive show you’d best book ahead. They need no introduction, but here’s a trailer for the performance all the same.

The Alleycats (A Capella)

Where/When: C Venues – C: August 8 – 13, 15:30 – 16:20

More: The Alleycats bring some welcome variety to the A Capella scene: singing everything from hip-hop mashups, to Motown, to pop; employing a full range of male and female vocalists, and combining their super vocals with some sweet dance moves to boot. They’ve had some rave reviews so far, and no doubt attendees will be in for a meow-vellous afternoon’s entertainment.

The Accidentals – Who Runs the World? (A Capella)

Where/When: theSpace @ Symposium Hall: August 12 – 17, 19:05 – 19:55

More: A Capella fans are really in luck this year, as they can also catch the wonderful Accidentals at the Fringe. Though only in their second year, the all-female group has had some tremendous success already, and their act, which features award-winning soloists, promises to be all the more brilliant for their added experience.

Check out more details here https://www.facebook.com/events/149888068535332/

Matt Gibson: Stand Up Sat Down

Where/When: theSpace @ Surgeons Hall: August 19 – 24, 21:05 – 21:50

More: Matt Gibson’s unique brand of stand-up has won him plenty of fans in St Andrews, and this year he takes his comic charms to the Fringe. There are sure to be some Bubble-related gags for those in the know, and some of Matt’s other topics will include ‘Bop It, being Asian and looking like B-list celebrities’. ‘Which B-list celebrities?’, you ask. You’ll have to head along to find out.

1. Hello, Saint! There’s lots of A Capella at the Fringe (Other Guys, Accidentals, & Alleycats) that it would be good to give a shout out too. In addition, student Matt Gibson has a solo stand up show “Stand Up Sat Down.” There should be more info for all of these on the Fringe website and/or Facebook.