UCAS reveals applications to Scottish universities are on the rise

0

Applications for 2013 entry to Scottish universities have increased, according to statistics published earlier this month by the University and College Admissions Service (UCAS).

The total number of applicants to universities in Scotland has risen from 104,870 in 2012 to 111,296 in 2013, an increase of 6.1%.

These figures, which apply to all applications before the June deadline, reflect a wider trend of increased applications to universities in the UK with the total number of applications increasing by 2.7% compared to last year.

The number of RUK applying to Scottish universities has increased from 31,436 to 35,808, an increase of 13.9%, despite the introduction of tuition fees of £9,000 per year for RUK students at most Scottish universities, including the University of St Andrews.

The number of applications from other EU countries has also increased by 4.1% and the number of applications from international students to Scottish universities has risen by 6.1 %.

The figures show that total numbers of university applications from Scottish students has risen from 42,515 applications in 2012 to 42,958 in 2013, an increase of 1%.

Scottish Education Secretary, Mike Russell, praised these statistics, remarking that “Scotland’s universities have a reputation for excellence” and these new figures “show their appeal is as strong as ever.”

“Of course, Scottish students are safe in the knowledge that access is based on the ability to learn, not the ability to pay and these students will benefit from the best package of support in the UK.”

Russell also commented on last month’s figures published by the Higher Education Statistics Agency which suggested that graduates from Scottish universities were doing better than graduates from the rest of the UK.

He said: “As the HESA figures demonstrated, the benefits of a Scottish degree are clear. Graduates from Scottish universities are more likely to go on to further study or employment.”