New this summer! Summer holiday club at the St Andrews Botanic Gardens

1

Botanic Gardens Summer Club

The St Andrews Botanic Garden Education Trust is pleased to announce that they are opening their Gardens doors to school children over the summer holidays. By popular demand, the Trust has organised a daily summer club for children between 10:00am and 4:00pm to come and enjoy the wealth of flourishing activities the botanic gardens have to offer. Wildlife expert Tony Wilson and horticulturalist Andrea Roach have teamed up to lead groups of youngsters through a variety of summer landscapes within the Botanic Gardens as well as St Andrews Coast line during a ‘one day only’ excursion to the East Sands beach.

Over the two weeks, children will have the opportunity to explore sea, pond and garden creatures and learn about the increasingly important role in our Scottish landscape. Children are also invited to learn and practice horticulture skills by caring for and maintaining their own vegetable plot with the goal of harvesting and learning to prepare and cook some home-grown and healthy snacks in an end of summer campfire. Other activities that are available throughout the fortnight include outdoor art such as natural paint dyeing, paper-making and learning the botanical explorers’ role of collecting and pressing flower specimens for a mini herbarium collection.

Botanic Garden Summer Club Bug Hotel

The Holiday Summer Club is based at the Glass Class where many schools from near and far take their pupils for an ever-popular trip to not only learn about a range of curriculum subjects but explore the human connection to the natural environment.  So, if you are looking for somewhere to send your kids for the last two weeks of the summer holidays, look no further! Everything your little ones could ask for is right at your door step at the St Andrews Botanic Gardens.

For more information or to register your child to either daily or weekly activities, please contact Andrea by email at andrea.kd.roach@gmail.com or by calling 07590 375617.